Transcendentalism – stressed individualism, intuition, nature and self-reliance.
- The Civil War
- Lincoln’s assassination
- Turmoil of Reconstruction
B.New poetic forms
- Walt Whitman 1819-1892
- He rejected conventional themes, forms and subjects
- He used long lines to capture the rhythm of natural speech, free verse and everyday vocabulary
- He wrote ”Song of Myself”
2.Emily Dickinson 1830-1886
- Her poetry broke with convention: it didn’t look right and it didn’t rhyme; it was too bold and too radical
- It had a concrete imagery, a forceful language and a unique style.